Fair Use and Copyright in Education
“But Mrs. Stein, why can’t I copy and paste that picture from the web? Everyone does it!”
Have you taught your students the rules for taking images from the internet for their projects?
Do you know what the law is?
It is all very confusing.
- Center for Media and Social Impact guide to Fair Use
- Copyright and Primary Sources is a guide for teachers (Library of Congress)
- Copyright for Educators is a slideshow with audio from a ITSC presentation by Wesley Fryer
- Frequently Asked Questions about Copyright is a guide for teachers and older students from the US Copyright Office
- Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights is a page at National Paralegal College which offers an introduction to intellectual property law, explanation of copyright and what may be copyrighted, and what trademarks are.
- Teaching Copyright is a wonderful place to begin with activities for students and information for teachers
- Taking the Mystery out of Copyright offers activities for students (Library of Congress)
- Creative Commons — searches Wikimedia, Google, and many other sites for content you can use and modify.